Greg Baumer, Coauthor of God and Money, on Asking “How Much Should I Keep”

The Finish Line Podcast

Episode 19
Greg Baumer naviHealth God and Money Financial Finish Line Podcast (1)
Greg Baumer naviHealth God and Money Financial Finish Line Podcast (1)

Greg Baumer, Coauthor of God and Money, on Asking “How Much Should I Keep”

The Finish Line Podcast

Episode 19

Listen on SpotifyApple PodcastsStitcherPandora, or wherever you get your podcasts!

Listen to the Show

What We’ll Cover

Greg Baumer, a graduate of Harvard business school, has had a successful career as Chief Growth Officer of a healthcare startup called naviHealth. In his early career, he focused on the high life, going to expensive dinners and vacations with his wife, Alison. However, a class at Harvard called God and Money flipped upside-down his view of money. Always a faithful tither, his question changed from “How much do I need to give” to “How much do I need to keep?”. He is co-author of the book God and Money, along with previous podcast guest John Cortines. He has a deep wealth of experience on financial finish lines and speaks around the country on the finish line concept and generosity. Listen now to hear his story!

Quotes to Remember

  • “We were dutifully paying our 10% tithe, but there was no worship in it. It was not a way for us to interact with God, it was more like the cost of admission we paid God every week so that we could spend the other 90%.”
  • “Everything that we have truly belongs to God.”
  • “It is so helpful to have done the work in advance around the finish line concept, because then when the money comes, it is relatively straightforward to allocate it across the categories of giving, spending, and saving.”
  • “Generosity is not a choice that we make one time, but rather a choice that we make daily in gratitude to Christ for his generosity towards us.”
  • “The wrestling with the Holy Spirit, with your spouse, in the counsel of other wise Christians, is in fact the point.”

Links from the Show

We Want to Hear From You!

If you have a thought about something you heard, or a story to share, please reach out! You can leave a comment below or reach out on our contact page.

Recent Podcasts

Recent Posts

Practical Strategies for Living on a Budget

Living on a Fixed Income For anyone living on a budget of any kind, there are a number of situations that are guaranteed come up. Whether you have a detailed system to handle them, or you go with the flow, you have likely encountered several of them.  While many...

Setting Up an Account Structure

Once your income has surpassed your finish line, it’s helpful to implement a structure to help know what money is to be used for your operational costs and what is to be invested in the things God places on your heart. While there are multiple ways to keep track of...

Addressing Debt

For some people who set out to define "enough" and set a limit for their spending, there is one looming barrier to getting started. Debt. Over 80% of Americans have some form of debt (including mortgages). For those with personal (non-mortgage) debt, the average owed...

The Race for a Finish Line

Hi, my name is Kealan. My brother, Cody, and I founded the Finish Line Pledge together and cohost the Finish Line Podcast. My story starts when I was a senior in college. I was a part of a campus ministry at the time and knew several people going into formal mission...

Should I Pay Off My Mortgage?

Earlier, we tackled the question of addressing debt with a financial finish line. The main concept involves committing to a finish line up front and using everything over that percentile to rapidly pay down debt. Once the debt is paid, you can easily transition to...

Get Involved

Learn More

Join Us!

See Other Episodes