Listen to the Show
What We’ll Cover
Andy and Mel Yoon started off chasing the high life, but found themselves living a life of stress and anxiety with a dental practice that was struggling. But when they started praying a dangerous prayer, God answered in a dramatic way, calling them to give away 51% of their income. Since taking that leap of faith, their life has been flipped upside down as they wade deeper and deeper into the joy of generosity. Every part of their life today is filled with purpose and mission, from how Andy runs his dental practice to how they raise their kids. Listen now to hear their thoughts on topics like how to take that initial leap, how to draw others into generosity, and how to steward not only your finances, but your story as well.
Quotes to Remember
- “It’s a really scary place to be, because [God] can give you any answer. He can ask you to sell everything, move to Africa, leave your family, whatever it may be.”
- “Andy, what have you done with what I’ve given you?”
- “If I really am taking this seriously, I should be giving more than I take.”
- “It doesn’t make any sense to us, but there’s gotta be a lot of room for faith.”
- “The Great Commission applies to everyone.”
- “When we’re going in to work with an organization, we’re meeting a spiritual need and we’re meeting a physical need.”
- “We try to surround ourselves with people who will push us harder, push us further, and help us expand what we even think we can do.”
- “How much is enough? At what point can you just give the rest away instead of it being a percentage?”
- “Generosity is kind of like a snowball, and as it’s rolling down, it’s just picking up more and more snow and getting bigger and bigger.”
- “We want to expand more and to grow more so that we can give more.”
Links from the Show
- Radical by David Platt
- Crazy Love, by Francis Chan
- Neverthirst (see our own interview with Matt Letourneau, CEO of Neverthirst)
- Journey of Generosity through Generous Giving
- The Alan and Katherine Barnhart story
- The Finish Line Community Facebook Group
- The Finish Line Forum
Bible References from the Show
Matt 19:16-22 | The Rich Young Ruler
16 And behold, a man came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” 17 And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.” 18 He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, 19 Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 20 The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22 When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
Matt. 28:19-20 | The Great Commission
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[b] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.
Matt. 11:28-30 | My Yoke is Easy
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
We Want to Hear From You!
If you have a thought about something you heard, or a story to share, please reach out! You can leave a comment below or reach out on our contact page.