Eric Most, VP for NCF Rocky Mountains, on How to Avoid His Biggest Giving Mistake

The Finish Line Podcast
Episode 33

Listen on SpotifyApple PodcastsStitcherPandora, or wherever you get your podcasts!

Listen to the Show

What We’ll Cover

Eric Most is the VP of the Rocky Mountains region for the National Christian Foundation, a donor advised fund platform that happens to be the 6th largest nonprofit and the largest Christian grant maker in the U.S. 

Eric began his career at his family’s insurance business, Most Insurance, which he later went on to run. He later went on to sell the business for a significant profit which he used to start a real estate firm and fuel his passion for generosity. However, it wasn’t until after selling his business that he realized that he could have given far more from the proceeds if he had orchestrated the transaction differently. 

That mistake left a large enough impact on him that he later took a position with the National Christian Foundation to help others avoid the same mistake.

NCF was founded over 40 years ago by Larry Burkett, Ron Blue, and Terry Parker as a platform to mobilize resources for the sake of the gospel and inspire generosity. Over this time, NCF has served over 24,000 givers to receive almost 19 billion dollars and deploy 15 billion dollars to charitable impact.

Eric had a wealth of advice and experiences to share, particularly about asset-based giving. Over 90% of our wealth as a nation is wrapped up in the things that we own. And by giving out of those assets, like stocks, real estate, and even our own businesses, instead of giving cash, we are able to add several multipliers to the impact of our giving. Eric also had some fantastic advice for financial planners wanting to help their clients through some of these processes. Listen now to hear all he had to share!

Quotes to Remember

  • “I didn’t know about asset-based giving. I didn’t know about the power of giving before a sale.”
  • “Don’t make my mistakes! There is a better way.”
  • “91% of our wealth as a nation is wrapped up in the things that we own. And we do most of our giving out of that remaining 9%.”
  • “This just became an engine of generosity.”
  • “We are called to greater things than we think.”
  • “There are zealous goers, zealous senders, and the disobedient.”
  • “NCF mobilizes resources and inspired generosity.”
  • “We look as stewarding everything that God has entrusted to us, our business, our assets – these can all be vehicles of greater generosity for the sake of the gospel. And that excites me to no end.”

Links from the Show

We Want to Hear from You!

If you have a thought about something you heard, or a story to share, please reach out! You can find us on Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn. You can also contact us directly from our contact page. If you want to engage with the Finish Line Community, check out our Facebook Group and our online forums.

Recent Podcasts

Recent Posts

Practical Strategies for Living on a Budget

Living on a Fixed Income For anyone living on a budget of any kind, there are a number of situations that are guaranteed come up. Whether you have a detailed system to handle them, or you go with the flow, you have likely encountered several of them.  While many...

Setting Up an Account Structure

Once your income has surpassed your finish line, it’s helpful to implement a structure to help know what money is to be used for your operational costs and what is to be invested in the things God places on your heart. While there are multiple ways to keep track of...

Addressing Debt

For some people who set out to define "enough" and set a limit for their spending, there is one looming barrier to getting started. Debt. Over 80% of Americans have some form of debt (including mortgages). For those with personal (non-mortgage) debt, the average owed...

The Race for a Finish Line

Hi, my name is Kealan. My brother, Cody, and I founded the Finish Line Pledge together and cohost the Finish Line Podcast. My story starts when I was a senior in college. I was a part of a campus ministry at the time and knew several people going into formal mission...

Should I Pay Off My Mortgage?

Earlier, we tackled the question of addressing debt with a financial finish line. The main concept involves committing to a finish line up front and using everything over that percentile to rapidly pay down debt. Once the debt is paid, you can easily transition to...

Get Involved

Learn More

Join Us!

See Other Episodes