Listen to the Show
What We’ll Cover
Tim Mohns is a seasoned financial planner who has had a financial finish line for the last 15 years after trying it out during a 6 month experiment. In addition to his advising career, Tim is heavily involved with the National Christian Foundation, a donor advised fund platform, as well as Kingdom Advisors, which seeks to equip financial planners to integrate their faith into their work.
Tim shared an inspiring testimony of learning to walk in step with God, including experiencing the fruit of some impressively specific instructions from God. But even more than that, he shared through his own story how God is so much more interested in us giving with God rather than giving for God. In more recent years, Tim has been exploring giving away parts of the business he’s spent his life building with some exciting developments on the horizon. Listen now to hear Tim’s entire story.
Quotes to Remember
- “Is this really all there is? … I’m doing everything I’m supposed to be doing. Why does it feel like I’m just eating paper? It’s tasteless!”
- “What really struck me was hearing the testimonies of people who had really tried generosity.”
- “I’m more of a save-a-holic than a spend-a-holic.”
- “Giving went from just another box to check as a good Christian boy scout to an invitation to do something with my heavenly father.”
- “The giving piece of it has been way more about me and intimacy with God and leading me back to what my heart’s desire really is, which is to have a great relationship with my heavenly father.”
- “I used to think that God needed me to ‘fund the kingdom’.”
- “I don’t think God’s heart is always about maximizing ROI, like somehow he’s going to run out of money.”
- “We don’t have to worry about the results, we just get to be a part of the process.”
- “You cannot take someone through something you’ve never done yourself.”
- “People talk about giving as something you ought to do, but I talk about it as an opportunity.”
- “I really want to come beside people and give them the freedom to take risks.”
- “Find a way to create a little bit of financial margin, and then get into a listening posture.”
Links from the Show
- Fountain Wealth Management, Tim’s financial advisory practice
- Generous Giving (see our interviews with cofounders Todd Harper and David Wills and CEO, April Chapman)
- Journey of Generosity (JOG) experience through Generous Giving
- National Christian Foundation (see our interview with President Emeritus, David Wills)
- Kingdom Advisors (see our interview with founder, Ron Blue)
- The Finish Line Community Facebook Group
- The Finish Line Community LinkedIn Group
Bible References from the Show
Matthew 6:19-21 | Store Up Treasures in Heaven
19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
We Want to Hear from You!
If you have a thought about something you heard, or a story to share, please reach out! You can find us on Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn. You can also contact us directly from our contact page. If you want to engage with the Finish Line Community, check out our groups on Facebook and LinkedIn.