Listen to the Show
What We’ll Cover
Todd Peterson started his career with 13 years in the NFL, but has since become a powerhouse in fueling the bible translation movement and encouraging others towards radical generosity. When Todd was drafted by the NY Giants in 1993, he was initially distracted by the excitement of a substantial income. However, God got Todd’s attention with a dramatic wake-up call after his rookie year.
From that point on, Todd and his wife Susan dedicated themselves to the exciting adventure God had in store for them. Throughout his NFL career, Todd and Susan delved deep into their generosity journey and began drawing others into that journey with them.
Since he retired from the NFL in 2006, Todd has become significantly involved in many organizations in the generosity and bible translation spaces. From 2008-2013, Todd served as Chairman of Seed Company, one of the major bible translation ministries. And through his involvement, he was able to participate in the formation of the IllumiNations impact alliance between 11 major bible translation organizations.
Because of that collaboration, it is anticipated that the bible will be accessible to every language spoken on Earth by the year 2033. In Todd’s words, “The last bible translator is alive today.”
Todd has served on numerous other boards including Global Generosity Movement, Passion Conferences, the Young Life Foundation, and Pro Athletes Outreach and has a depth of wisdom in living out radical generosity.
Todd shared plenty of wisdom on topics like honing your giving focus and how to do more than write a check. Even more interestingly, Todd shared his unique insight into the relationship between givers and ministries, having spent significant time on both sides of the field. Listen now to hear all Todd had to share.
Quotes to Remember
- “We very early on saw the NFL as a mission field and we were very highly compensated missionaries in a sense.”
- “You can’t really be a man of humility until you’ve been humiliated.”
- “I’m never going to make another penny before we give to God first.”
- When the income really started to come, we were better prepared for it because we had made a decision that we were going to give first.”
- “As our income increases, our lifestyle doesn’t have to grow with it.”
- “My NFL career, all 13 years, felt like God had a plan for my life.”
- “At the end of the day, what we’re supposed to be doing with our lives is giving them away.”
- “We want to life full and abundant life and experience all God has for us. And the best way we knew how to do that was to hold things loosely.”
- “Football was one thing that God gave me a talent for, but it wasn’t the only thing he created me to do.”
- “We are people who really want to be invested in every sense of the word. We don’t want to simply write a check to an organization.”
- “All ministry hinges on the power of the gospel in the language of a person.”
- “Could there be a greater injustice than not having access to the Gospel in your language?”
- “By 2033, we can eradicate bible poverty, meaning every language on Earth has access to at least some portion of the scripture translated.”
- “We believe in the bible translation world that the last bible translator is alive now.”
Links from the Show
- Safely Home, by Randy Alcorn
- The IllumiNations Bible Translation Collaboration
- Finishing the Task (see our interview with Global Church Planting Strategist Dan Hitzhusen from FTT)
- Seed Company
- The Finish Line Community Facebook Group
- The Finish Line Community LinkedIn Group
Bible References from the Show
Matt. 16:25 | Whoever Seeks to Save His Life
For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
Isaiah 55:8 | My Thoughts Are Not Your Thoughts
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
Ephesians 2:10 | We Are God’s Workmanship
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Revelation 7:9 | Every Tribe, Nation, and Tongue
After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands,
We Want to Hear from You!
If you have a thought about something you heard, or a story to share, please reach out! You can find us on Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn. You can also contact us directly from our contact page. If you want to engage with the Finish Line Community, check out our groups on Facebook and LinkedIn.