Listen to the Show
What We’ll Cover
Andy Geleris is a neurologist from California and author of Money & Salvation: An Invitation to the Good Way. Though he didn’t grow up in a Christian family, there were several strong experiences of generosity that had a lasting impact on him at a young age. After becoming a Christian at age 17, Andy was fortunate to find a strong, faithful church where the gospel was preached. It was in that church community where he heard that growing in discipleship always requires growing in generosity – a message that has shaped his trajectory since that time.
Since that time, Andy has continued to grow a deep heart for generosity, not just for the impact that it has on those around us, but for the way it radically shapes our own hearts. Andy has written and spoken extensively about the importance of a generosity-filled life and shares his thoughts on topics like giving anonymously, the mistakes organizations make when fundraising, why a generous lifestyle is just as important for the poor, and eternal rewards as they relate to generosity. Listen now to hear all he had to share!
Quotes to Remember
- “I hope that this message of a financial finish line will start being preached in pulpits across this country.”
- “Luther famously said their are three conversions everybody needs: the first is the head, the second is the heart, and the third is the wallet.”
- “One of the most important ways I can see if I believe is how I spend my money.”
- “What Jesus cares about is not how much money we give, but how much lifestyle.”
- “It’s almost like I have a little nuclear reactor of joy in the pit of my stomach.”
- “I think God cares more about my giving than about how effective that giving is.”
- “Every time Jesus talked about money, he talked about why giving was important for the soul of the person to whom he was talking.”
- “We are robbing poor people by not showing them how valuable spiritually it is for them to give even small amounts.”
- “Poor people have a tremendous advantage in earning eternal rewards.”
- “It turns out having wealth is not just working hard. It’s not just being smart. It’s not just taking advantage of god opportunities. It’s something as fundamental as having simple, good physical health.”
Links from the Show
- Andy’s book, Money & Salvation: An Invitation to the Good Way
- Money, Possessions, and Eternity by Randy Alcorn
- Operation Mobilization
- Emotionally Healthy Discipleship
- Eternal Perspective Ministries (Randy Alcorn)
- The Finish Line Community Facebook Group
- The Finish Line Community LinkedIn Group
Bible References from the Show
Romans 10:9 | How to Be Saved
If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Matthew 7:22-23 | I Never Knew You
22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’
Luke 21:1-4 | The Widow’s Offering
1 Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box, 2 and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. 3 And he said, “Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. 4 For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”
Proverbs 30:8 | Poverty and Riches
Give me neither poverty nor riches
Deuteronomy 8:18 | The Source of Wealth
You shall remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day.
Matthew 6:33 | Seek First the Kingdom of God
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
We Want to Hear from You!
If you have a thought about something you heard, or a story to share, please reach out! You can find us on Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn. You can also contact us directly from our contact page. If you want to engage with the Finish Line Community, check out our groups on Facebook and LinkedIn.