Listen to the Show
What We’ll Cover
April Chapman is the CEO of Generous Giving, which seeks to create a safe pressure-free atmosphere for Christians to discuss deep-rooted biblical generosity through short overnight retreats and annual conferences. Few organizations have impacted the generosity movement in the U.S. more significantly over the past 20 years, and Generous Giving continues to be a powerful force of generosity today. April and her husband Craig began their careers as software engineers with Microsoft. Early on, God blessed them with two major windfalls that really launched their journey into generosity, eventually leading them to give away half of their earnings. April shares how generosity and faith begin with surrendering our will to God to make room for Him to fill us with His own power and direction, and that has certainly played out in her life. April shares on a variety of topics including managing windfalls, donor advised funds, impact investing, and choosing where to give. Listen now to hear all she had to share!
Quotes to Remember
- “Give of your LIFE: Labor, Influence, Finances, and Expertise.”
- “In obedience, if we really start listening, God has some things to say to us.”
- “We look for opportunities where we can give of our labor, our influence, and our expertise alongside our money.”
- “There came a point at which we realized that surrender was key for both of us.”
- “How do we figure out not how much do we give, but how much do we keep?”
- “The vision of Generous Giving is to have God’s generosity put on display through His people.”
- “God has been so generous with us – how do we share that generosity with the world?”
- “How different would the world be if we were all as generous as we could be?”
- “I truly believe generosity is one of the best evangelism tools we have.”
- “People want to grow in community.”
- “I want Him to fill be with His power, but the only way I can do that is if I empty myself first.”
- “Impact investing became an engine to fuel our donor advised fund.”
Links from the Show
- Generous Giving (see our interview with cofounder, Todd Harper)
- Generous Giving’s Journey of Generosity Groups and Celebration of Generosity Conference
- Mover of Men and Mountains, by R.G. LeTourneau (free audio here)
- Focus on the Family
- Cru (Campus Crusade)
- Mercy Ships
- WorldVision and the WorldVision Innovation Fund
- Donor Advised Fund (DAF) with the National Christian Foundation (NCF)
- Praxis Labs
- Impact investing at the Impact Foundation
- The Finish Line Community Facebook Group
- The Finish Line Community LinkedIn Group
Bible References from the Show
Malachi 3:10 | Put Me to the Test
Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need.
1 Chronicles 4:10 | The Prayer of Jabez
Jabez called upon the God of Israel, saying, “Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!” And God granted what he asked.
We Want to Hear from You!
If you have a thought about something you heard, or a story to share, please reach out! You can find us on Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn. You can also contact us directly from our contact page. If you want to engage with the Finish Line Community, check out our groups on Facebook and LinkedIn.