Listen to the Show
What We’ll Cover
Matthew Hendley serves as a generosity ambassador with National Christian Foundation (NCF), coming beside givers, financial advisors, and nonprofits in order to maximize the joy and impact of giving. Matthew lives in Georgia with his wife and five children.
Growing up in a Christian home, Matthew didn’t have much skin in the game until God got his attention through a powerful experience at his high school. As Matthew leaned deeper into his faith, God quickly grew in him a passion for generosity.
Matthew and his family have a particular knack for hearing God in the moment, and he had story after story of seeing God move after responding to that quiet prompting. He also shares some of the challenges of hearing that voice and the disappointment of missed opportunities. If you want to better learn how to follow God’s lead in the moment, then this episode is for you. Matthew also has a financial finish line and shares about how his family went about the process as well as how it has changed their outlook.
Matthew shares on topics including:
- Hearing God’s prompting to individual acts of generosity
- How he decided to set a financial finish line
- His process for setting his initial finish line
- Stories of families he’s worked with through NCF
- Obstacles that hold people back from radical generosity
Quotes to Remember
- “God is going to give you as much as you can handle as soon as you are ready to handle it.”
- “Listen well and obey quickly”
- “Money matters are heart matters”
- “If you won’t be generous with $5 you won’t be generous with $5 000”
- “The love of money is what grips our heart”
- “Greed is a matter of the heart, not a matter of what’s in your bank account”
Links from the Show
- National Christian Foundation (see our interview with President Emeritus, David Wills)
- Journey to Generosity (JoG)
- Generous Church (see our interview with founder Patrick Johnson)
- Generous Giving (see our interviews with cofounders Todd Harper and David Wills and CEO, April Chapman)
- Faith & Finance, by The Chalmers Institute (see our interview with founder Brian Fikkert)
- The Treasure Principle (see our interview with author, Randy Alcorn)
- Simplifying the Money Conversation (see our interview with author, Ron Blue)
- The Finish Line Community Facebook Group
- The Finish Line Community LinkedIn Group
Bible References from the Show
Ephesians 4:28 | Have Something To Share With Anyone
Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.
1 Timothy 6:10 | Love of Money
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
We Want to Hear from You!
If you have a thought about something you heard, or a story to share, please reach out! You can find us on Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn. You can also contact us directly from our contact page. If you want to engage with the Finish Line Community, check out our groups on Facebook and LinkedIn.