Listen to the Show
What We’ll Cover
Heather Tuininga is founder of the philanthropic consulting firm 1010 Strategies and lives in Washington with her family. Heather Bergen her career in politics with a desire to spark change, but quickly find that the political sphere did not always lead to the movement she desired to see.
From there, Heather pivoted into the philanthropy space with the Gates Foundation, working with the Gates family directly to vet and analyze philanthropic opportunities around the world. After several years with the Gates family, she went on to work for a smaller family foundation in order to broaden her experience.
Heather launched 1010 Strategies in order to offer the same level of service to families and business who sought philanthropic guidance, but weren’t large enough to hire someone full time to manage their giving. Since that time, she has been able to help many families and business massive their impact and joy in giving. Heather has a particular passion for spontaneous generosity.
In 2017, during a presentation on generosity, she gave 400 women in the audience each a $20 bill to give to someone else, what later became known as her $20 Challenge. Since then, she has passionately encouraged others into somebody acts of generosity and had many stories to share.
Listen now to hear what Heather had to say on topics like:
- Why generosity is always linked to joy
- How she thinks about philanthropic strategy
- The power of small acts of generosity
- How to hear God’s prompting in generosity
- Leveraging Joy by giving to others so that they can give again
- Countless stories of spontaneous and strategic generosity
Quotes to Remember
- “A life lived for others is a life well spent.”
- “When you are thinking about whether to share or give away or not, ask the owner, because He is the owner”
- “Giving is supposed to be sacrificial and cheerful”
- “When our giving is done well, both the giver and the receiver get life to the full.”
- “You can leverage joy to multiply joy”
- “Generosity and joy goes hand in hand”
Links from the Show
- 10|10 Strategies
- Generous Giving (see our interviews with cofounder, Todd Harper and CEO, April Chapman)
- Gates Foundation
- I Like Giving, by Brad Formsma
- The Finish Line Community Facebook Group
- The Finish Line Community LinkedIn Group
Bible References from the Show
2 Timothy 2:21 | Instrument for Noble Purposes
Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable,[a] he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work.
Psalm 24:1 | Earth is the Lord’s
The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof, the world and those who dwell therein
John 10:10 | Life to the Full
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
2 Corinthians 9:10 | Seeds to the Sower
He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness.
We Want to Hear from You!
If you have a thought about something you heard, or a story to share, please reach out! You can find us on Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn. You can also contact us directly from our contact page. If you want to engage with the Finish Line Community, check out our groups on Facebook and LinkedIn.