Listen to the Show
What We’ll Cover
Mario Zandstra is the President and CEO of Family Legacy. Mario’s journey from humble beginnings to his success in commercial real estate, and now to his current leadership in ministry demonstrates the power faith has had in his life. He discusses his personal journey, the connection between faith and business, transitioning from business to ministry, and the impact of his current ministry, Family Legacy, in Zambia.
Mario’s faith guided his career in commercial real estate, where he upheld integrity and honorable work. His colleagues weren’t surprised when he later transitioned to ministry, inspired by “Halftime: Moving from Success to Significance.” He first led Pine Cove, one of the largest Christian summer camp programs in the U.S. and achieved remarkable growth, with 30,000 children coming to Christ. He emphasizes the ripple effect of generosity and the profound impact several key experiences had on his faith and future.
Currently, he leads Family Legacy, which supports thousands of children in Zambia, empowering them through education and providing a safe haven through the Tree of Life residential facility. Over 20,000 students have been educated, entire communities have been transformed through Family Legacy’s continued work.
Major topics include:
- Mario’s personal journey and the transformative power of faith.
- The impact of Mario’s faith on his career in commercial real estate and his commitment to integrity.
- Transitioning from business to ministry and the unexpected opportunities that arose.
- Stories of generosity and the ripple effect of giving.
- The significance of expressing gratitude and acknowledging the influence of others.
- Family Legacy’s founding, and the ministry today.
- Empowering children in Zambia through education, trade certifications, and holistic support.
Quotes to Remember
- “I think about where I am in life, and I can’t imagine anything better.”
- “What’s stopping you from trusting Jesus?”
- “I turned my life over to Christ. And that was the beginning of a crazy adventure.”
- “Pull together a group of people that really know you well, and give them the right to ask you the tough questions.”
- “We leveraged, we took the principles of business that God has allowed to be created over the course of time, and we apply those into the organization.”
- “You just don’t know what happens in life.”
- “Be careful what you’re willing to go meet about because you might end up running a ministry in Africa.”
- “We believe in empowering, equipping, and encouraging kids to live up to their God-given potential.”
Links from the Show
- Family Legacy
- Campus Crusade for Christ (Cru)
- Halftime: Moving from Success to Significance by Bob Buford
- Pine Cove Christian Camp
- Redeemer City to City and Tim Keller
- Momentous Institute
- The Finish Line Community Facebook Group
- The Finish Line Community LinkedIn Group
Bible References from the Show
2 Corinthians 5:21 | Christ’s Sacrifice
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
Psalm 139:14 | Fearfully and Wonderfully Made
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Philippians 4:6 | Don’t Be Anxious
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
We Want to Hear from You!
If you have a thought about something you heard, or a story to share, please reach out! You can find us on Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn. You can also contact us directly from our contact page. If you want to engage with the Finish Line Community, check out our groups on Facebook and LinkedIn.