Listen to the Show
What We’ll Cover
Randy Alcorn is the founder and director of Eternal Perspective Ministries and a New York Times best-selling author of over sixty books, including two which hold a particularly special place among listeners of this podcast: The Treasure Principle and Money, Possessions, and Eternity. His books sold exceed twelve million copies and have been translated into over seventy languages.
Considered by many to be a founding father of the modern Christian generosity movement, Randy is overflowing with wisdom and thoughtful anecdotes to tackle a variety of complex subjects, all backed by a solid biblical foundation. Listen as he shares his personal journey in generosity and addresses some of the more challenging questions we’ve received over the years. In particular, Randy provides a picture for how eternal rewards work in the kingdom of God. We had all sorts of questions for him on the subject.
Listen for topics including:
- Why is a financial finish line such a powerful tool for generosity?
- How can we approach giving in times of scarcity?
- What questions should we ask ministries before giving?
- How can we reconcile the call to “give in secret” and the call to “let your light shine”?
- What are eternal rewards as laid out in the Bible?
- How can there be such a thing as eternal rewards if we are all saved by grace?
- What exactly are the rewards people may experience in eternity?
- Will there be any sensation of lack or scarcity in heaven?
Quotes to Remember
- “There is nothing we could do with that money that would bring us as much joy as giving it away”
- “You can’t take it with you, but you can send it on ahead.”
- “Don’t assume that you’re supposed to leave 100% of your money when you die to your kids who may be as wealthy or more wealthy than you”
- “If you don’t hear people’s giving stories, you won’t become as great a giver as God wants you to be”
- “He has made us to do good works, but none of the works we do are in any way earning our salvation”
Links from the Show
- Eternal Perspective Ministries
- Money, Possessions, and Eternity by Randy Alcorn
- The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn
- Randy’s 19 Questions to Ask Before You Give
- Operation Mobilization
- Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand
- Voice of the Martyrs
- The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
- IllumiNations Bible Translation Alliance (see our interview with Todd Peterson or John Chesnut)
- The Finish Line Community Facebook Group
- The Finish Line Community LinkedIn Group
Bible References from the Show
Matthew 5:16 | Let Your Light Shine
Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
Matthew 6:19-20 | Treasure in Heaven
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
Matthew 6:1-4 | Giving in Secret
Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
Daniel 7:18 | The People of God Shall Reign Forever
But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom and possess the kingdom forever, forever and ever.
Matthew 25:21 | Parable of the Talents
His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’
Isaiah 65:17 | New Heaven and New Earth
For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth
Luke 16:1-9 | The Parable of the Dishonest Manager
Ephesians 2:8-9 | Saved by Grace
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Ephesians 2:10 | Created for Good Works
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
We Want to Hear from You!
If you have a thought about something you heard, or a story to share, please reach out! You can find us on Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn. You can also contact us directly from our contact page. If you want to engage with the Finish Line Community, check out our groups on Facebook and LinkedIn.