Listen to the Show
What We’ll Cover
Richard Baxter is a dentist in Birmingham, Alabama who has channeled every part of his business towards bringing the gospel to unreached people groups around the world. Not only does Richard run his own dental practice, but he founded the Alabama Tongue Tie Center and authored the best selling book, Tongue Tied. He also teaches several courses for other practitioners all over the country on the treatment of tongue ties. Most significantly though, Richard channels the vast majority of the funds from his book and courses, totalling hundreds of thousands of dollars, directly to organizations targeting unreached people groups. His passion for the gospel is infectious and it is amazing to see how God has used him to fuel it’s spread in hard-to-reach places.
Richard is incredibly thoughtful in how he gives, and shares a wealth of resources for ways people can get involved in reaching unreached people groups with the gospel. We were so encouraged and challenged by Richard’s story, you won’t want to miss it!
Quotes to Remember
- “Don’t separate the reason for God’s blessing from the purpose for God’s blessing”
- “There is an ability to finish the Great Commission, as far as we understand it, for every tribe, nation, people, and language.”
- “99% of Christian giving goes to where the gospel is already known … less than 1% goes to the unreached.”
- “If my middle school teacher knew I wrote a book, she’d probably die.”
- “Unreached people groups are the best bang for your buck, the best eternal return on investment.”
Links from the Show
- Shelby Pediatric Dentistry
- Alabama Tongue Tie Center
- Richard’s book, Tongue Tied
- Beta Upsilon Chi (Brothers Under Christ)
- Radical by David Platt
- When Helping Hurts by Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert
- mPower Approach (dental missions)
- End of the Spear (movie)
- Miracle at Tenwek (book about the life of Dr. Ernie Steury)
- Toward the Tithe and Beyond (the story of John Wesley, as told by John Piper)
- Don’t Waste Your Life, by John Piper
- Crazy Love, by Francis Chan
- Money, Possessions, and Eternity, by Randy Alcorn
- Neverthirst (see our own interview with Matt Letourneau, CEO of Neverthirst)
- The Issachar Initiative
- Doulos Partners (see our interview with David Johnson, CEO of Doulos Partners)
- Reach the Rest
- Pray the Word Podcast by David Platt
- The Finish Line Community Facebook Group
- The Finish Line Forum
Bible References from the Show
Psalm 67:1-2 | The Purpose of God’s Blessings 1
May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine on us— 2 so that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations.
Matt 6:19-21 | Do Not Store Up Treasures on Earth
19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
We Want to Hear From You!
If you have a thought about something you heard, or a story to share, please reach out! You can leave a comment below or reach out on our contact page.